History Of The Greater King Solomon Missionary Baptist Church
In 1942, a division within the King Solomon Baptist Church lead to the formation of Greater King Solomon Missionary Baptist Church, June 1943, located at 4101 Riopelle Street, Detroit Michigan – under the temporary leadership of Rev. Robert L Bradby, Jr. In October of 1943, Rev. Bradby, Jr. was officially ordained in the ministry and callead to pastor the Greater King Solomon Missionary Baptist Church.Greater King Solomon, not unlike any other newly formed organization, struggle with debt. With faith, friendship, fellowship and strong leadership we managed to pay off the mortgage on the Riopelle location, laying the “corner stone” in 1949. We also managed to continue upkeep in modernization of the Lord’s house while adding an annex to the building “THE BRADBY CENTER”.
In October 1950, a portion of the Church was destroyed by fire. This unfortunate incident did not dampen the spirit house within the walls of Greater King Solomon. Services continued at the Wright Mutual Funeral Home at 505 E. Hancock through the spring of 1951 when the needed renovations were completed.
In 1954, the Riopelle building was sold. Services were held at the Prince Hall Masonic Temple on Gratiot at McDougall until October 1955. Due to the illness of the late Rev. Bradby, Rev. William G. Reed lead the procession taking the congregation of Greater King Solomon Missionary Baptist Church to its new home at 4638 Fourth Street.
In 1958, Rev. Bradby, Jr. appointed Rev. William G. Reed “Assistant Pastor.” He served faithfully in the capacity until the passing of Rev. Bradby, Jr., March 14, 1962. Having served in the leadership role throughout the illness of Rev. Bradby, Jr. and the designated mourning period Rev. Reed was callead to pastor on August 3, 1962. His Installation Services were held in October of the same year.
Under the leadership of Rev. Reed the church continued the normal upkeep and modernization of the 4th Street building and managed to purchase property for a parking lot. On March 24th, 1968, we held at a “corner stone” ceremony celebrating a mortgage burning. Rev. Reed work tirelessly in his efforts to serve God, family and community until his death on April 16th, 1997.
On September 1981, under the tutorship of the late Rev. William G. Reed, Willie J. Pitts acknowleadge God’s calling to the ministry preaching his first sermon in November 1981; at which time he was ordained Rev. Pitts “Associate Pastor” and he served faithfully and with sincere dedication until the passing of Rev. Reed in April 1997. He gracefully accepted the leadership roll during the designated mourning period and on March 29, 1998 he was called upon to pastor. His Installation Services were held August 16th, 1998.
Under the leadership of Rev. Pitts our mission continues. We will strive, not only to remain “debt free”, but to become financially sound. Remember: “We’ve come this far by faith. We trust that we will never forget the road over which we have traveled and we hope we will never cease to give God the glory and praise for permitting us to be instruments at His mercy and to do His will. It is our determination to continue to strive to win souls for Christ in a sinful world.”
With faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; love for one another, hard work and dedication of a thriving congregation; strong leadership; nurtured friendships in our continuing to extend a hand of fellowship – THY WILL BE DONE!